According to a recent report from Sun-Sentinel, the inventory of homes in South Florida dropped 34 percent in the past year. This is compared to the national average drop of 19 percent. As Zillow's chief economist Stan Humphries told reporters, “Investors are paying in cash and can close sooner, which is more favorable to banks and homeowners looking to sell.” These recent developments, however, do not make home staging any less important when selling a home in South Florida. Proper home staging is crucial to creating the right first impression and creating an environment that potential buyers can visualize themselves in. Inspired by tips from the experts at Zillow, here are some decluttering and decorating strategies for effective home staging.
- Potential buyers will always open closets, so be sure they are organized and neat.
- Do not leave more than three or four items on any horizontal surface.
- Rearrange bookcases and shelves to feature clean lines with no interruptions.
- Hang art! Use a large piece or create a collage.
- Arrange all seating areas in a way that they would encourage conversation not hinder.
- Expand living and entertaining space by making an outdoor room in the backyard.
Photo via Houzz